The Human Family terms and conditions for film and art festivals and exhibitions
Thank you for your interest in submitting work to a Human Family film or art festival or exhibition. The following Rules and Guidelines and Artist Terms and Conditions (the “Artist Terms”) govern the submission of your films, artwork, images, graphics, digital assets, digital media, or content (the “Artwork”) to The Human Family, Inc. (“The Human Family”), the North Dakota Human Rights Film Festival or the North Dakota Human Rights Arts Festival through www.human-family.org (the “Website”) or any other portal used by The Human Family.
Please read these Terms carefully before submitting your artwork. By clicking “submit” or submitting your artwork to The Human Family, you agree to be bound by these Terms. If you do not agree to all of the Terms, then you must not submit your film or artwork.
Rules and Guidelines
- Filmmakers and artist must be authorized to submit their films and artwork to The Human Family film and art festivals and exhibitions, and have appropriate permissions and clearances for their work. Works must have copyright clearance for all materials included not originally created by the artist.
- Filmmakers and artist should include an artist statement about the work submitted.
- Films or art works in language other than English must include English subtitles or translations.
- Multiple entries are allowed from filmmakers and artist, and each entry may be entered in multiple categories. A separate application form should be used for each film, and the form must be completely filled in. Submission fees apply to each individual entry and category.
- Only online screeners and submission entries will be accepted. If your country does not have access to FilmFreeway or Submittable, please contact the festival for a potential waiver to this policy.
- All films or artwork submitted under a “Student Fee” category will be listed as a “Student” on all materials including social media and press releases.
- The selection committees’, jury’s and festival director’s decisions are final.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Films that require a licensing fee for screening should email the festival director prior to submitting their film for consideration. If your film will require a rental fee you MUST LET FESTIVAL STAFF KNOW ON SUBMISSION. There is a limited budget for rental fees, and those funds are traditionally used for films invited outside of FilmFreeway. If you do not let us know, we will assume that the film can be screened without a fee, and there is no gaurantee that budget will remain at the end of the submission process.
- Once selected as a part of the official festival, a film or work of art may not pull out of the festival or withdraw its submission.
Rights & Clearances
- By submitting your Artwork to The Human Family, you agree to grant to The Human Family, Inc., along with its DBAs a non-exclusive, irrevocable, non-transferable, except as explicitly set out herein, worldwide license to use, promote, display, reproduce, and distribute your Artwork for commercial and non-commercial purposes, including, without limiting the foregoing, to reproducing the Artwork on the Website, manufacturing and selling paper and digital prints and other products incorporating your Artwork (including derivative products) through the Website, and use in all Human Family promotional materials for the festival to which you are submitting to.
- Except as and to the extent expressly permitted, or as reasonably necessary to make any use of the Artwork permitted by these Terms, The Human Family shall not, and shall not permit others to modify, correct, adapt, or prepare derivative works or improvements of the Artwork without proper attribution and in accordance with this agreement.
- Artwork submitted by you and the rights relating to them, including copyright and ownership rights in the Artwork, remain the sole and exclusive property of the Artist. No other use of the Artwork is granted without your express written consent.
- We will use our best efforts to insure that all uses and reproductions of copyrighted material conform to the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. We will use our best efforts to insure that all Artwork contains some form of copyright management information (CMI) in some form, such as a copyright notice “©”, attribution with the author’s name, or some other copyright and ownership information embedded in the metadata or elsewhere unless otherwise agreed to by the you. We will not remove and/or alter such information in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Sale of Artwork
- For physical galleries or traveling art exhibitions, the Human Family agrees to make your Artwork available for sale. In some cases, the sale of that artwork may be arranged by the Gallery hosting the exhibition.
- The Human Family does not keep a percentage of the sale of your Artwork. In some cases, the Gallery hosting the exhibition may keep a percentage of the sale of your work. You will be notified in advance of the fee prior to the sale of your Artwork.
Terms and conditions
- The individual or corporation submitting the film or artwork hereby warrants that it is authorized to submit the film for consideration, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations, and is responsible for the accuracy of all information provided on the application form(s).
- Filmmakers or artist of accepted works are responsible for creating theatrical screening prints or, if appropriate, physical work for gallery display. Filmmakers and other artist assume all costs of supplying prints and artwork, including postage or delivery fees.
- The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless The Human Family from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
- The Human Family is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film or artwork submitted and accepted for exhibition for promotional purposes for this and future festivals.
- By submitting work to the festival, the filmmaker or artist indicates that you have read and understand The Human Family entry guidelines and rules and regulations and that you agree to the The Human Family Terms and Conditions. Furthermore, you indicate that you shall indemnify and hold harmless the The Human Family from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening films entered. The undersigned is also responsible for providing the The Human Family with all up-to-date mailing, email, and phone contact information for results correspondence and results letters as requested